1527: Steam Switcher Work Train Set
Set 502 or 1527 is an eye-catching work train set produced in only one year -- 1955. Lionel had a winning combination in this set with the small switcher locomotive hauling several of Lionel's longer freight cars. This mixture of longer freight cars and a smaller locomotive has the illusion of an almost scale-like train set.
This work train set contains some desirable items. The gray cab crane and the steam switcher are fairly difficult to locate in collectable condition. Additionally, the boxes for all of the rolling stock are usually damaged or torn.
Set 1527 was also sold as set 502, each containing the exact same components. Lionel distributed their four-digit numbered sets to the large, country-wide wholesalers. The local Mom & Pop stores received the three-digit equivalent sets.
Standard components of this set include:
- 1615 Steam Switcher locomotive
- 1615T Non-whistling Tender
- 6462-125 New York Central red gondola with six wooden barrels
- 6560 Bucyrus Erie crane car
- 1014 40 Watt transformer
- Plus: 027 gauge track, 6029 remote control track, lubricant, billboards and instruction booklets.
Click on their logo to view high quality postwar Lionel trains for sale