13098 Five Car Steam Freight Set
Nicknamed The Goliath Steam Freight by Lionel, outfit 13098 was only available in 1963. This set has become famous as it contains the sought-after and ultra-rare 6447 caboose. This caboose was only produced and included in this set -- it was not available in any other set nor available as a separate sale item.
On a slightly different note, the Goliath Steam Freight Set was the fifth -- and final -- set created by Lionel with the 637 steamer as the lead locomotive. It's somewhat ironic the 637 prairie steamer -- one of Lionel's premier Super-O steamers in 1963 -- started it's life as a basic 027 steamer in 1953 with the number 2037 -- and was basically unchanged during that 11-year timespan!
Standard components of this set include:
- 637 Steam locomotive
- 736W Tender
- 6414 Auto carrier, sometimes replaced by a 6416 boat carrier
- 6446 N & W Covered hopper
- 6464-900 New York Central box car
- 6469 Liquified Gas flatcar
- 6447 Pennsylvania N5C caboose
- Plus: Super 0 track, lubricant, billboards and instruction booklets.
Click on their logo to view high quality postwar Lionel trains for sale