12710 Five Car Steam Freight Set
After an absence of six years, O gauge trains finally returned to the Lionel family of trains for 1964. Set 12710 was one of the O gauge sets introduced in 1964. Although most of the rolling stock is common, the 6414 Automobile Loader with red cars and gray bumpers is very difficult to locate.
It is interesting to note, sets 12700, 12710, 12720 and 12730 from 1964 thru 1966 are extremely similar. Lionel used the same exact freight cars and track in each of these sets. The only differences are:
- Sets 12720 and 12730 substituted a 2383 Santa Fe F-3 AA diesel for the 736 Berkshire of sets 12700 and 12710.
- Sets 12700 and 12720 did not include a transformer, while sets 12710 and 12730 included the LW transformer.
Standard components of this set include:
- 739 Berkshire Locomotive
- 736W Whistling Tender
- 6162 New York Central Gondola
- 6414 Automobile Loader
- 6464-725 New Haven Box Car
- 6476 Lehigh Valley Hopper
- 6437 Pennsylvania Caboose
- Plus: O gauge track, UCS remote control track, LW transformer, billboards, smoke pellets and instructions.
Click on their logo to view high quality postwar Lionel trains for sale