40 Cable Wire Reels
Production: 1950 - 1963
The 40 Cable Wire Reels were available to the public for many years. Generally speaking, customers would purchase one or two reels and use most of the wire for their train layout. Rarely did a customer purchase an entire box of reels. Therefore, locating complete, unused reels are extremely difficult. Locating a complete dealer display box is rare!
Standard features of the 40 Cable Wire Reels include:
- Plastic reels, usually orange, but gray reels are known to exist.
- Original wire colors include: white, maroon, blue or yellow.
- Approximately 50' of 18 gauge wire.
- Cellophane tape wrapped around the wire reels. For the few years the cellophane tape had black lettering, later production did not include any lettering on the tape.
Standard features of the 40 Cable Wire Reel dealer display box include :
- Dark blue or black lettering.
- The box liner is usually blue, but orange and plain cardboard examples are known to exist.
- The exterior box was made in three variations: orange top only, orange top and box ends or a plain cardboard exterior. All three of these variations are known to exist with either blue or black lettering.
Additional Detail, Photos & Box Information
Only Known Variation - Shown in the photo above - An orange box with black lettering and blue insert are shown in the photo above.
Click on their logo to view high quality postwar Lionel trains for sale