3357 Hydraulic Platform Maintenance Car
Production: 1962 - 1964
The 3357 Hydraulic Platform Maintenance Car is more commonly referred to as the Cop and Hobo Car. Lionel essentially modified a short box car to accomodate a raised platform where a policeman and hobo chased each other around a layout -- of course never really catching the other person! This fantasy-notion car made use of a new concept which was never re-used on any future postwar offering.
The 3357 was introduced with the following features: unpainted blue body with white lettering, AAR trucks, and a box of separate components. Early 3357's had two operating couplers while later production usually had one operating and one non-operating coupler.
The most difficult item to locate for all Cop and Hobo Cars are its original component box. The component box was stamped 3357-23 and contained the following items:
- Instruction Sheet
- A brown hobo with a painted face
- A blue police officer with a painted face
- Two sheet metal side structures
- A blackened sheet metal plate
- Two long black screws, two short blacl screws and two silver tightening nuts
- Two long springs
- A blackened steel track spacer with end nut
- Packing envelope
- A plastic gray structure for the top of the car
Additional Detail, Photos & Box Information
Locating a complete set -- along with a complete and intact individual component box -- is truely rare.
Only Known Variation - All 3357's had unpainted blue bodies wityh white lettering.
Click on their logo to view high quality postwar Lionel trains for sale