- Complete Sets
- 725: Four Car Diesel Freight Set
725: Four Car Diesel Freight Set
This Union Pacific diesel freight set was only available in 1957 and included four introductory freight cars. It's a common set and was the first set to be displayed in the 1957 annual consumer catalogue.
This set is somewhat noteworthy as it featured Lionel's all-new and completely re-designed Alco diesel. Although these diesels lacked the bulk, detail and quality when compared to the Alco's of the early 1950's, these diesels are still dependable locomotives. Additionally, this set introduced the AAR freight car truck. It was completely new for 1957 and remainded the standard freight car truck until the end of the postwar era.
As a side note, set 725 and 1569 are identical. Lionel distributed their four-digit set numbers to the large, country-wide wholesalers. The local Mom & Pop stores received the three-digit numbered sets.
Standard components of this set include:
- 202 Union Pacific Alco A diesel
- 6014 Frisco box car
- 6111 Flatcar with three logs
- 6112 Gondola with four cannisters
- 6017 Lionel Lines Caboose
- Plus: 1037 transformer, 027 track, 1008 camtrol, lubricant, billboards and instruction booklets.
Click on their logo to view high quality postwar Lionel trains for sale